BBE Conversation Club review for May 16th! The Free Trade Agreement
Hey there! Every Wednesday evening from 6:00-8:00 Bogota Business English hosts a fun, friendly and educational Conversation Club at Authors Bookstore in La Zona G. We hope to see you there! If you are not able to attend, we invite you to review what we talked about the previous week by reading our blog. Last week, May 16th, we talked about the weather. Study the conversation sheet from last week so you can stay up to date.
Here’s what you missed last week!
“Let’s Talk About…”
FREE TRADE AGREEMENT
|n. prices/costs/expenses||v. to lower/raise||adj. cheaper/more expensive|
|n. agreement/treaty||v. to go into effect||adj. in effect|
|n. benefits||v. To benefit/harm||adj. beneficial/harmful|
|n. duties||n. levies||v. to affect||adj. business/industry|
*Do you know what all of these words mean? Discuss with your group or ask a native speaker if you need clarification! Try to figure them out!
VIDEO BREAK! Check out this YouTube video about the Colombia-U.S. Free Trade Agreement!
- What do you think will happen when the FTA goes into effect?
- In what ways do you think the FTA will benefit or harm the Colombian economy?
- Which types of businesses or industries will be most affected by the FTA?
- Will your business or industry be affected?
- When was the agreement signed and when will it actually go into effect
Quotes of the week…
“The U.S.-Colombia free trade agreement will enter into force next month, far earlier than expected, as a result of what the Obama administration called “historic” progress for Colombian worker protections and human rights.” –Reuters