Conversation Club Review for May 30th – Architecture!
Hey there all you English learners! Did you miss Bogota Business English’s Conversation Club last Wednesday, May 30th? Shame on you!
Just kidding, no worries if you did not attend because on this blog you will be able to review the conversation topics, vocabulary and trivia that we discussed. We sincerely hope to see you there this Wednesday, June 6th to talk about BUSINESS MODELS with us! We are going to learn a lot of really cool things and new vocabulary. Make sure to bring your friends, family and colleagues to share knowledge, beverages and candy with us!
Here’s what we talked about last week…
“Let’s Talk About…”
|n. design||v. to design||adj. urban|
|n. architect||v. to build / to construct||adj. modern|
|n. blue prints||v. to maintain||adj. classical|
|n. form||n. function||v. to appreciate||adj. functional|
*Do you know what all of these words mean? Discuss with your group or ask a native speaker if you need clarification! Try to figure them out!
- What are the most important examples of Colombian architecture and/or design?
- Are there any specific buildings or neighborhoods in Bogota whose architecture you admire?
- One key concept of architecture is that a building’s form should meet its function. Do you think the architecture of your home or office agrees with this concept? If you could, how would you improve it?
- Eco-friendly and ‘green’ architecture is starting to gain notoriety. Does Bogota have any examples of this type of architecture? What are some examples of ‘green’ architecture?
- Describe your ideal home with you group? Do any of you have similar architectural tastes?
Did you know…?
Architecture is both the process and product of planning, designing and construction. Architectural works, in the material form of buildings, are often perceived as cultural symbols and as works of art. Historical civilizations are often identified with their surviving architectural achievements.
Who are the most important Colombian architects? Find out who they are and what they did using Wikipedia in English.
Visits www.NPR.org for great news stories and audio files to practice your English.
Bring your friends to the next conversation club!