Bogota Business English Conversation Club – Conversatorio Preview for July 18
Last week we had a great conversation about the new Pico y Placa system here in Bogota. This week we are going to talk about getting sick, how to get better and also about visiting the doctor’s office. It should be a great opportunity for you to learn some great new vocabulary.
Here’s a peek at some of the things we are going to be talking about at the Conversation Club Wednesday night at 6:00 pm at Authors Bookstore in La Zona G. Make sure to bring your friends who need to improve their English!
Before we get started though, take a look at this YouTube Video about remedies for the common cold.
Let’s Talk About…”
|n. illness / disease / sickness||v. to get sick
v. to be cured
(i.e. I’m sick; OR I’m not feeling well)
|n. healthcare||v. to go through||adj. under the weather
(i.e. I have a cold and am a bit under the weather.)
|n. Waiting room||v. to despise||v. to feel (good, well, sick, bad)
i.e. I feel good. I feel sick. Etc.
|n. Doctor’s office||v. to pass the time
|adj. ‘…like hell’
à(slang, don’t use at the office)
i.e. I feel like hell! = I feel really sick!
DISEASES & THE DOCTOR’S OFFICE
*Do you know what all of these words mean? Discuss with your group or ask a native speaker if you need clarification! Try to figure them out!
- What’s the difference between an illness and a disease?
- Talk about everything you despise about going to the doctor’s office!
- Talk about the worst sickness you’ve ever had to go through.
- Talk about the things you do to pass the time in the waiting room at your doctor’s office.
- What are some good ways to prevent yourself from getting sick?
- Give your opinions on Colombia’s healthcare system. Do you think it is good, bad, mediocre? Support your opinions with facts.
- Tell us about your favorite remedy that helps cure common sicknesses.