Hey there all you English learners! Did you miss Bogota Business English’s Conversation Club last Wednesday, May 30th? Shame on you!
Just kidding, no worries if you did not attend because on this blog you will be able to review the conversation topics, vocabulary and trivia that we discussed. We sincerely hope to see you there this Wednesday, June 6th to talk about BUSINESS MODELS with us! We are going to learn a lot of really cool things and new vocabulary. Make sure to bring your friends, family and colleagues to share knowledge, beverages and candy with us!
Here’s what we talked about last week…
“Let’s Talk About…”
|n. design||v. to design||adj. urban|
|n. architect||v. to build / to construct||adj. modern|
|n. blue prints||v. to maintain||adj. classical|
|n. form||n. function||v. to appreciate||adj. functional|
*Do you know what all of these words mean? Discuss with your group or ask a native speaker if you need clarification! Try to figure them out!
- What are the most important examples of Colombian architecture and/or design?
- Are there any specific buildings or neighborhoods in Bogota whose architecture you admire?
- One key concept of architecture is that a building’s form should meet its function. Do you think the architecture of your home or office agrees with this concept? If you could, how would you improve it?
- Eco-friendly and ‘green’ architecture is starting to gain notoriety. Does Bogota have any examples of this type of architecture? What are some examples of ‘green’ architecture?
- Describe your ideal home with you group? Do any of you have similar architectural tastes?
Did you know…?
Architecture is both the process and product of planning, designing and construction. Architectural works, in the material form of buildings, are often perceived as cultural symbols and as works of art. Historical civilizations are often identified with their surviving architectural achievements.
Who are the most important Colombian architects? Find out who they are and what they did using Wikipedia in English.
Visits www.NPR.org for great news stories and audio files to practice your English.
Bring your friends to the next conversation club!
“Let’s Talk About…” Conversation Club
*Always remember, Bogota Business English is always here for your English learning needs! Talk to one of our representatives if you are interested in personalized English courses!
- Fashion trends
- Popular cuisine
- Weather patterns
- National products
- Geographic regions
- Natural resources
- Civil strife
*Do you know what all of these words mean? Try to figure them out! We give the definitions out in the conversation club.
1. How would you describe the current fashion trends in Colombia? What type of apparel is popular?
2. What are some of Colombia’s natural resources? Are there any resources that you think are being underutilized or overexploited?
3. What makes Colombia competitive in the global economy? Is it the people, industry, technology, resources?
4. Which country has the best coffee on the planet?
5. What are some of Colombia’s biggest problems right now? How might these problems be alleviated?
Bogota Business English infobit: Did you know fewer than 5% of high school graduates in Colombia can speak English?
6. Do you think tourism is a good or a bad thing for Colombia? What are the pros and cons of tourism?
7. If you could change one thing about Colombia for the better, what would it be?
Quotes of the week…
*Don’t forget to browse the wide selection of English books offered by Authors Bookstore. There are lots of interesting titles that you can read to improve your English.
“Art is a spiritual, immaterial respite from the hardships of life”
“It is not true that people stop pursuing dreams because they grow old, they grow old because they stop pursuing dreams.”
~Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Questions or comments? Let us know!